Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gone With The Wind

I finally watched it! I've always known I needed to. It's a classic, after all! But, I never had an opportunity to see it. I noticed it was on TV a few weeks ago, so I recorded it. And Friday, I was feeling yucky with a headache, sore throat, achy muscles - the works. So, rather than be productive, I watched Gone With The Wind! The movie is already 4 hours long, but it took me the entire day to see it - various stops for Alexia, eating lunch, playing, going on a walk, etc.

But, I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm told that Gone With The Wind was to my Grandma, what The Sound Of Music was to my mom. (The Sound of Music came out when my mom was a young adult. She went and saw it in the movie theaters SEVERAL times, and she has had a love affair with the movie ever since.) In 1939, when Gone With the Wind came out, my Grandma was a single adult, and she identified with Scarlet O'Hara's character. (makes sense if you know her). She got every date to take her to see the movie (including my Grandpa). She ended up watching it probably a hundred times over the years. She'd quote lines from the movie all the time. She even named my mom after Bonnie, from the movie! I had no idea!

All through my watching of the movie, when I'd be stopped for a lunch break, or a Lexi break, I'd call my mom and report to her where I was, and we'd chat about the scenes, lines from the movie, and all about Grandma. Wished I could have seen the movie when she was still alive, so we could have talked about it. I know she absolutely loved the movie, and wondered why none of her grand-daughters had seen it. Well, I've seen it Grandma. And I loved it.

This counts as family history work, right?

4 comments:

  1. That's really fun. It does seem like family history work. I've only seen that movie once, maybe I should watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that counts for family history. I claim the same thing every time I watch a movie that portrays a war, discusses a war, has some violence, mentions a war, feels like somebody in the movie may have fought in or learned about a war, etc. Because, you know, Grandpa P fought in WWII.

    So.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever, Joe. Nice try. Scarlet O'Hara was Grandma Ron's alter ego. She saw herself as a southern belle...she was born in southern Idaho and grew up in southern Provo, after all! And the streets of Provo were lined with the bodies of all her cast off beaus. So many quotes from that movie were part of our lives growing up. Thanks for sharing in that, Bec!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely... Family History! I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen it yet either. Maybe you'll have to burn it to dvd for me. Or we can all watch it together sometime in honor of GMA!
    Cool Bec. Way to go! Sorry you felt so crappy.
    Joe... the war stuff doesn't count!

    ReplyDelete