Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm Finished!!!

Caution: In comparison to my last several posts...SERIOUS subject ahead:

Jacob and I had to talk in church last month, and for part of his topic research, Jacob had James E. Talmage's book "Jesus The Christ," out. I have always known that I'd get around to reading that book someday, but didn't know when. I'd always figured it was a little too "grown-up" for me, and that I'd wait a while to read it. But, after we spoke in church, and the book was left out on the arm of the couch, I just really wanted to read it right then! So, I started at the end of last month. And I FINISHED it Monday morning!!! So, I was able to read the almost 800 page book in just under a month. I couldn't put it down! I initially intended to just read a couple of pages a night, and have it be a summer-long endeavor to read it. But, I'd find myself reading during the day whenever I could. While Alexia was napping. While I was feeding her. While I was eating lunch. And any other time I could catch a snipit or two. I was SO asorbed in it. (Hopefully I didn't ignore Alexia too much while reading...) But I must say, I'm pretty proud of myself for a) reading the book in the first place, b) being able to get through it as fast as I did, and c) enjoying it as much as I did.

It was SUCH an amazing book! And I learned a TON from it! I now know why my Jacob can make very intelligent comments in Sunday School. Many of his insights and knowledge expoundings come from that book! He read it while he was on his mission, but somehow he still remembers a lot of the little details from it. So, while I was reading it, I'd stop in the middle of a concept or story, and Jacob and I would have some great conversations about things I had read.

You know when President Hinckley challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in the fall a few years ago? Jacob and I took the challenge back then, and am forever grateful we did. Reading the Book of Mormon faster than I was used to, did a WORLD of good for my understanding of the stories, the sequence of events, what group faught who, and went where, and who taught who, etc. It brought a whole lot more meaning to the rest of the scriptures that we read over and over - the scripture mastery scriptures, the ones we always share for spiritual thoughts in meetings, etc. You know which ones I mean. I've always appreciated those nuggets of wisdom. But, having more background around them, and knowing the stories behind them better, and understanding the book as a whole, made me appreciate them so much more!

Reading "Jesus The Christ" this past month has done the same thing for me and Christ's life! But not only did I get a really good overview of His life, but I know a lot more details about what miracles He performed when, which lessons He taught when, which lessons were parables, and which ones were from His experiences. (Always confusing for me to remember what was a parable and what wasn't). I learned a whole lot of background insights into Jewish history, (bringing up more questions that I want to talk about with my sister, Emily, since she knows more Jewish history than anyone else I know). I learned more about the Apostles, and their personalities. The book had great clarification on a LOT of doctrine. It helped me to see Christ's life in a different light, and I learned so many wonderful things about our Savior!!!

There's an AMAZING spirit in that book, and I highly recommend the book to anyone who needs a good read. Although, after that wonderful brain STRETCH, I'm gonna need a "light and fluffy" book to read next!!!

5 comments:

  1. Way to go! I had the book with me on the mission (I guess every missionary does-it's part of the missionary library), but I can't say as I have ever finished it. I read some here and there, but it was a challenging book to read. Congrats on finishing. Your review of the book made me want to try again! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bec, you are a great example to us all. It is a witness that when we decide to do something and stick with it, we can WIN, and then benefit by reading Brother Talmages testimony of the Christ throughout the book, on every page. I am proud of you, keep on setting the example for all of us, your beloved family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the book but I can't say that I remember much about it. I'd love to chat sometime about it, or Jewish history, or anything. Though I don't think I can live up to your claim that I know all that much about Jewish history- but I do love learning and discussing what I do know. Let's chat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way proud of you Bec! And you inspired me to start reading it, too. I've never read the whole thing either so I'm going to do it! Thanks for leading the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very cool. You've inspired me. Just today I read 5 chapters in Acts about Paul and his conversion and being called to testify in front of kings and such -- and I had so many questions about Roman and Jewish culture and rules, and why did they say this, and what did this mean, etc. I think I'll try Jesus the Christ next. So thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete