Monday, September 7, 2009

5K Finished!!!

After two months of training, I ran my 5K on Saturday, and wanted to make sure and write about it while it's still fresh.

I spent an hour or two preparing my MP3 player with a perfect set of about 11 songs to run to. Slower songs in the beginning, to set my pace. Then alternating upbeat and inspiring through the race. Then, crossing the finish line with Andrea Bocelli's "Because We Believe." It was perfect!

I got to run the race with six family members. All three of my brothers, Will, Sam and Joe. My mom. And two sisters-in-law, Shauntell, and Melissa. So, I was well supported. However, we had a strict "no talking while racing" rule between us. We knew that some of us have similar paces, and didn't want to get distracted. So, we promised each other we would not talk. We'd each listen to our own music, and concentrate on our own races.

My goals for the race were few. I originally wanted to finish the 3.11 miles in under 40 minutes. But, my practice 5K took me over 44 minutes, so I threw that one out the window. My only goal for the race was to not walk any of the race. I wanted to jog the entire thing. I didn't care if I placed in my age category. I knew I wouldn't. Having only been a "runner" for two months, I knew I'd be up against people who love this kind of thing and have been running for a lot longer. So, all I wanted to do was finish the race - and not walk at all.

I did well on the race. Tried to ignore my tiredness. Actually didn't notice being tired as much as I thought I would. I had good music, and actually felt exhilerated by the whole atmosphere. My mom and I ended up running basically side by side the entire time, so that was pretty cool. And, as much as I didn't want to compare myself to other runners, I was very relieved to see other runners after passing the half-way point (it was an "out and back" race, so we turned around, and passed people after turning around). I turned to my mom and said "we're not last!!!" Early on, my brother actually told me that there were hundreds of runners behind me. Even knowing he was just wanting to make me feel good since we were in the last group of runners, it helped to visualize that.

As we neared the end of the race, my brother Sam (who finished 5th in the whole race), came and ran next to me. I sprinted as much as I could. I saw Jacob, waiting just before the finish line, waiting to get a picture of me, and I actually got a bit choked up. It was such an emotional moment. Everyone cheering. Running for all I'm worth across the line. I had a friend tell me that if I'm gonna run, I better be careful doing a race, cause I might get addicted to them. I can see why. There's something about running with that many people, all striving for the same goal. All pushing ourselves. And crossing that finish line was amazing. I put my hands up in the air, and almost collapsed after crossing. Such a cool moment.

(I know, I know. It was just a 5K. But for a non-runner...no, a running HATER like me, it was quite an accomplishment). I was proud of myself. I was proud even before finding out that my time was almost 5 whole minutes shorter than my practice run. AND, I made my goal! I ran it in 39:50. Not great when you compare with other people. But it WAS great when you compare me with ME.

I learned a lot. I feel healthier for running these last two months. And, I just might keep it up. Next goal: 10K in the Spring!!!

9 comments:

  1. You're awesome! Congratulations! Sounds like you did great. I thought that was pretty clever with the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! Congratulations. This is a major accomplishment. I think that you've done really well, you're doing good things. And it's a great example for Lexi Girl, too. Keep it up, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a pleasure running beside you angel girl! Loved it all. And to think that 6 weeks ago I was on crutches! Can't believe I actually did the 5K! Miracles do happen. Thanks for motivating me to keep slogging along with you. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course you can be an honorary member of our ward! come run with us! I've run both 5k and 10k, and I definately prefer 5k. It's ok if you try a 10k and don't like it. There are plenty of 5ks out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! Congrats! Good luck training for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bec, you're awesome. I'm proud of you for what you've accomplished these last couple of months. Here's to our 10K in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Becca!! Although I'm not a runner (*at all*!!), I watched and supported Greg as he was training for his races this summer. It's hard work, and an *amazing* accomplishment for you!! Congratulations!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for you! Not everyone could run for 40 minutes straight, myself included. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becca, I am so very proud of you!! I use to hate running to. but my friend Megan helped changed that around and i got ot the point to where i could run 3.11 miles and not stop (which was huge for me) but then i got pregnant and now i am back to square one. I don't know where you live, but if you ever want a running partner give me a call! :) running down the canyon is fun!! it makes it even better. I'm so happy you did it below your goal time! what an acomplishment, and even though we are not as fast as others, remember they started out slower too. Just keep it up and the next thing you know you will be running a marathon!

    ReplyDelete