Saturday, August 22, 2009

Will I ever enjoy this???

Recently I started running. Well, not running exactly. My family calls it "slogging." A slow jog. Very slow, in my case. But, at least it counts. (My friend Julianne would be proud.)

My brother emailed me about two months ago, wondering if I was gonna ever run a 5K. I never have. And several of my siblings have. Two of my brothers have run a marathon - a few years ago. And my mom recently got into race running, and did a 10K this summer. Then, on the 4th of July, three more of my family members joined the running crew, and they all did a 5K together. So, my brother Joe wondered when it'd be my turn.

I'm not a runner. I've never liked running. I've always considered it somewhat of a torturous activity, and usually break into a sweat and severe panting just running up and down the street! So, I never thought I'd run much. But, when someone puts a challenge in front of your face...well, let's just say, I took the bait, and agreed to do a 5K on September 5th, here in Spanish Fork.

So, I gave Joe the job of being my trainer. He tells me how long to run, and checks back with me after every run. I run three times a week (nights, after Lexi goes to bed). I started running just a mile each time. Then, got up to 1.5 miles, and then 2. I don't run long each time. Just one long run a week, and the rest shorter. So, this week I was assigned 1.5 miles Tuesday, 1 mile Thursday, and 2.5 miles tonight. Tonight is my long run. I did 2.5 miles last week also, and it about killed me. But, I did it. No walking. I slogged the whole time. And I can do it again.

Next week I'll do 3 miles for my long run, and then again on RACE day! I'm so proud of myself! but I'm not LOVING it yet. But, I do feel invigorated after my runs. I do feel good about myself, and I'd love to keep it up. But, I wonder if I'll ever get to a point where I actually look forward to running? How long will it take?

4 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you. In my experience the enjoyment DOES come eventually, you just gotta keep on sticking with it. I too didn't think I'd be able to say this, but I actually do enjoy running. I enjoy the endorphin high afterwards, I enjoy listening to my music during the run, I enjoy the satisfaction of accomplishing something hard, I enjoy the motivation that it gives me to eat more healthy, and I really enjoy being part of an organized race. The enjoyment is felt a bit easier when the grueling pain has diminished, and that only comes with time. BUT, it's true that some people never do get to that point, they just never ever enjoy it. But I think everybody should find some kind of aerobic activity that they enjoy, just because it's so important for our bodies. Seriously though, Sis, you're doing awesome, keep up the good work. It'll be fun to run that 5K with you.
    Didn't mean to get all Pollyanna on you about running. Some people hate it and that's fine too. Just do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAHHHHH!!! Congratulations! Well, that is really a big accomplishment. It is sooo hard to go from zero to one mile, to two miles, and so on. But you're doing it, and that's what counts. I'm really proud of you, that is really great.

    For me, it took me about 5 months of hard running -- 5x/week sort of thing -- before I was really anticipating, looking forward to, loving my runs. And that was a few years ago. Since starting again after having Sam, I've been running since March, but we've only been going about 2-4x/week, and I'm still not totally "in love" (in fact I just did a post about this very subject today!). But it will come, the longer and more consistently you train. It will.

    Good luck on your race, blog all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slogging, that's great. haha! I'm impressed that you took the challenge and have started running. I ran cross country in high school. I remember the first few weeks were so hard and I almost quit but my friend convinced me to come back. After the first month I think my body finally got used to it or something. You just have to get over that hump and then it's better. So stick with it.
    Anyway, after I got married I remember telling people I liked running when they asked what my hobbies were and Kurt would laugh and say "you're not a runner, when was the last time you went running?" I realized, sadly, it was true. I haven't really run since I was in college. But you've inspired me. I'm going to start again. Thanks Becca. I can't wait to hear how your 5k goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not there yet either Bec. I have run about 3 times a week for 3 months, but now I'm back to walking. I like walking. I walk fast even. I don't know if everyone will eventually enjoy running. Who knows. Congrats though. Way to go! Keep it up like everyone says and it may come!

    ReplyDelete